In Hindu religion every God needs to be worshiped in distinct way, still there are some basic ways to worship which I'll list now.
- Going to a temple empty handed is not good, at least pick a flower that is good for worship. Ask the locals around temple about the best flower for the god/goddess inside.
- Always carry Poojai/ Worshiping material above the waist.
- Before entering the temple worship the Gopuram or Vimanam, there by your are greeting Devatas in Gopuram! But there will always be a spot inside temple were gopuram is fully visible, do not confuse that with worshiping, interior view gives closer look there by explaining the architectural work of Kings men.
- Don't step on Vasakal of any entrance, they made above precious metals and stones which are holy.
- Do ashtanga namaskar(Lay down, 6th pose in Surya Namaskaram) on mark close to Kodimaram / Main pedam / Guarding god outside main hall
- Look for Bodyguard's statue of the main God around, worship them and request/pray for entering the main hall for dharsan, they might not reply still you can proceed further.
- Always see the god from foot to face this is how gods must be worshiped, looking from face to foot is wrong method and should not be used with god. And that is why "look" differs from "see".
- If you have some archanai to perform maintain stillness in the environment till then or chant matras on main god. Return one half of the (broken)coconut as thachanai (in manner to thank) to Priest.
- Always leave the hall walking backwards so that your back is not physically shown to god(Remember movies on Kings/Gods peoples greet them and walk back).
- Never steal plants or anything from temple and its premises, it brings very bad fate especially in case of Lord Shiva's Temple. Try to sit and relax, temples were meant for it in early days.
I usually bullet things but here I have numbered means order must not be changed at any case.